princess productions was founded in 1995 by Yvonne Ng and became a registered sole proprietorship in 1996. The company was then incorporated in 1999 and became a registered charity in 2000. Since its beginnings, princess productions has commissioned, produced and presented over thirty works and dance films, which have received critical and commercial acclaim across Canada, Australia and Singapore. The works: Language, Treehouse, My past follows like dragon’s tail, Stone Velvet, Fading Shadows/Returning Echoes, and STICKS garnered fifteen Dora Mavor Moore Award nominations collectively for performance, choreography, and design in the years 1998, 2000, 2005, 2011 and 2017.
The mission of tiger princess dance projects is to create a repertoire of works that reflect the Artistic Director’s unique heritage, perspective and artistic values, and to perform these works in Canada and abroad. Further, tiger princess dance projects develops and delivers dance education through training opportunities for students, senior citizens, and professional artists.
To educate and increase the public’s understanding and appreciation of dance by providing performances and opportunities in public places, performance venues, seniors homes, community centres, and educational institutions and by providing seminars on topics relating to such performances.
- Nominee for the 2021 Eldred Family Award.
- Adapting our Festival to an outdoor festival and inauguration of our podcast series, The ‘D’ Word.
- Developed training arts education programme (Swallowing Clouds and Moving Stories) for emerging artists.
- Premiere of Miniature Solos and Music (in response to another postponement of Wéi).
- Part of the winning bid for a ten-to-twenty-year subsidized lease (studio) at the Kent Street School.
- Premiere of Time Travel while Standing Still (duet) in Toronto, dance film, THAT MOMENT WHEN in the spring, continued Intergenerational work at several sites in Toronto.
- Redeveloped our free in-person arts education programmes: Swallowing Clouds for youth and Moving Stories, our Intergenerational arts programme (senior citizens and youth) to online live programmes, creation of video content and printed activities (for distribution).
- Redeveloping curriculum of our youth programme, Swallowing Clouds to include families and for outdoor settings.
- Premiere of Wéi – In Connection 心连心,a community dance project for professional artists. A transformed version of the original Wéi
- THAT MOMENT WHEN created by Yvonne Ng, for Dance Ontario Weekend, Fleck Theatre.
- In Search of the Holy Chop Suey created and performed by Yvonne Ng at Kitchener’s The Registry Theatre.
- Zhōng Xīn by Yvonne Ng, in collaboration with performers Mairéad Filgate, Luke Garwood, Irvin Chow, and composer Nick Storring, and set designer Joe Pagnan. Performed at Kitchener’s The Registry Theatre..
- Ontario Tour with 3, 2, 1 DANCE – Performed Stone Velvet by Tedd Robinson, and performed by Yvonne Ng and Robert Glumbek.
- Won the Toronto Catholic District School Board (TCDSB) Innovated Exemplary Practice Award for Moving Stories at St. Jude Elementary School.
- moment created and performed by Yvonne Ng at CanAsian Dance Festival KickStart.
- Yvonne and collaborating artists Mairéad Filgate, Kaitlin Standeven, Johanna Bergfelt, Luke Garwood, and Irvin Chow, and composer Nick Storring were at the Banff Centre for a creative residency. The residency was for research and development for Wéi.
- In Search of the Holy Chop Suey received four Dora Mavor Moore Award Nominations: Outstanding Production Nomination, Outstanding Original Choreography Nomination for Yvonne Ng, Outstanding Performance – Female Nomination for Yvonne Ng, and Outstanding Lighting Design Nomination for Arun Srinivasan.
- In Search of the Holy Chop Suey created and performed by Yvonne Ng at Harbourfront Centre Theatre
- Zhōng Xīn by Yvonne Ng, performed by Mairéad Filgate, Luke Garwood and Irvin Chow at Harbourfront Centre Theatre
- Weave…part one created and performed by Yvonne Ng at World Dance Alliance with da:ns Festival in Singapore.
- Mixed Repertoire performed at the O’Brien Arts Centre in Happy Valley Goose Bay.
- Magnetic Fields by Yvonne Ng, performed at Innis Town Hall in recognition of Asian Heritage Month.
- A Tale Begun performed by Yvonne Ng and Robert Glumbek at the 11th Guangdong Dance Festival.
- New work With their Shadows Long premiered at The Third Space: Contemporary Asian Explorations in Dance at the da:ns Festival.
- Yvonne was guest artist-in-residence at Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts (NAFA).
- Premiere of Metamorphosis of a Solitary female Phoenix & Magnetic Fields by Yvonne Ng – May (Toronto).
- Performances and Teaching at Beijing Dance Festival – May (Beijing, China).
- Onward Ho, my love on tour with Dusk Dances – July (Vancouver, Haliburton, Peterborough & Ottawa).
- Premiere of Bare-Knuckled Round by Susie Burpee, commissioned by Dusk Dances for Robert Glumbek and Yvonne Ng – August (Toronto).
- Premiere of “Onward Ho, my love” by Julia Aplin, commissioned by Dusk Dances for Robert Glumbek and Yvonne Ng – August (Toronto).
- Performances in Guelph, Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver, Singapore, Beijing & Guangzhou.
- Premiere of Frequency & Weave…part one in Toronto and remount of Cypress (male cast). Yvonne completes teacher certification in C-I Training.
- Creation of Frequency and Weave… part one.
- STICKS received two Dora Mova Moore Award Nominations: Outstanding Choreography Nomination for Tedd Robinson, and Outstanding Sound Design/Composition Nomination for Charles Quevillon
- Performances in Toronto, Boston, Guangzhou (China), Singapore & Brescia (Italy).
- Inauguration of our interdisciplinary arts education program, Swallowing Clouds™, in partnership with the Toronto Public Libraries across GTA.
- Yvonne completes teacher certification in Open Source Forms. STICKS, nominated for two Dora Mavor Moore awards.
- Performances in Toronto, Oakville, Waterloo, Vancouver, Victoria, Ireland (Dublin, Tralee & Thurles), Italy, Germany & Singapore.
- Performances in Peterborough, North Bay, Sudbury, Toronto and Huntingdon, USA
- Performances in Guelph, North Bay, Sudbury, Toronto, Goosebay, NL and Dublin Ireland.
- Yvonne awarded the Ontario Premier’s Emerging Artist Award; Yvonne invites over 30 artists to take over Cecil Community center and performs 3 cycles of all 6 of the Collection solos as part of Nuit Blanche
- Performances in Toronto, Halifax, Singapore and Huntington, USA.
- Premier of Signs: Paper Women & Emerald Lies, choreography by Yvonne Ng, Co-presentation with DanceWorks, Harbourfront Centre Theatre, Toronto, February. Presentation and premiere of Scarlet’s Room – co-production with The Arts Fission Company at Winchester Street Theatre, Toronto.
- Performances in Kitchener, Toronto, New York, Singapore.
- Residency at The Theatre Centre, Toronto. Commission from York University.
Co-production with The Arts Fission Company at The Esplanade Theatres on the Bay (Singapore)
- Fading Shadows/Returning Echoes received two Dora Mova Moore Award Nominations: Outstanding Performance Nomination for Yvonne Ng, and Outstanding New Choreography Nomination for Dominique Duma.
- Performances in Toronto.
- Commission by Toronto Dance Theatre, Four at the Winch. Company produces and presents Fading Shadows/Returning Echoes – an evening of duets for Yvonne Ng & Robert Glumbek.
- Performance in Guelph and Toronto.
- Commission from The CanAsian Dance Festival and from Dusk Dances.
Filming of Peter Chin’s Streetcar.
- Yvonne receives Chalmers Fellowship Arts Award and New Pioneers Arts Award.
- Performance in Toronto.
- Company moves into Dovehouse Dance at 805 Dovercourt.
- Yvonne receives K.M. Hunter Award and Chalmers Arts Training Award enabling her to study Skinner Releasing in Seattle, Washington and Deep Listening with Pauline Oliveros in Big Indian, New York.
- Co-produces/presents with Juliet Palmer Cypress, Flotsam & Jetsam, Artword Theatre, Toronto.
- Performances in Toronto and Singapore.
- Premiere of garam shift, choreography by Yvonne Ng, DanceWorks Mainstage Series.
- Commissions duets each from Tedd Robinson and Kathleen Rea. Produces and presents Stone Velvet – an evening of duets and solos and tours the show to Singapore.
- Stone Velvet received two Dora Mavor Moore Award nominations: Outstanding Performance Nomination for Yvonne Ng & Robert Glumbek, and Outstanding New Choreography Nomination for Tedd Robinson
- Performances in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Vancouver.
- Performances in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Singapore and Sydney, Australia.
- Studies at the Beijing Dance Academy & University of National Minorities, Beijing, China for 6 months.
- Dancefilm, Into a Dinosaur, choreographed and directed by Yvonne, is presented at Moving Pictures Festival.